Saturday, January 17, 2009

Learning More from Disappointment than Success

Not sure what the title means? Well, let me explain. First off, I'm sorry that I haven't been blogging as much lately. I don't mean to be a once a week blogger. I just haven't really felt like blogging. Don't worry, this won't last long!

So, back to my topic. I've experienced some disappointment recently. I'm not going to get into details, but basically it was a life change that didn't happen. I was very upset when it happened about a week ago, but having spent time in reflection, I think I've learned some things about myself. Hopefully, these things will make me better prepared for when something good comes my way in the future!

This brings me back to my point. I really think we learn more from our disappointments than our successes sometimes. Surviving disappointment shows strength of character. Call it a cliche if you must, but I really believe this is true. How many people do we know who have overcome incredible odds, and have succeeded far beyond their means almost in spite of circumstance? I think Barack Obama is a perfect example of this.

As for me, I grew up in an affluent suburb of Portland, Oregon. I've seen how greed and success can jade people and make them not nice people. When everything in life is handed to you, what do you really have to show for yourself? I think there's something to be said for overcoming barriers to become successful. This is where learning from disappointment becomes important.

I'll stop my rambling now, but just wanted to post this, because it's been going through my head this past week. As I learn and grow through this current disappointment, I know a greater success lies ahead.

No comments: