Tuesday, January 3, 2012

One Word 2012

Many of my colleagues across the country are participating in what is called "One Word 2012". What this means is we all pick a word that will help guide and motivate us throughout the year. When a new year begins, many people create resolutions or goals to motivate them for the year. The intent of the "One Word" project is to pick a word that is unique to the person you want to be in the new year. At the end of the year, you reflect back on this word, and how it has impacted your year.

I have never been big on new year resolutions or goals. For me, I define personal integrity by being authentic to who I am on a daily basis. If I want to change something, I take steps to make those changes. If I use a crutch like a new year to be my impetus for change, it negates the other benefits intrinsic to making changes.

Knowing this about myself, I watched people pick a "One Word" in 2011, and saw how they used those words to inspire them throughout the year. I remember being curious about the "One Word" revolution last year, but did not take the leap to join. This year, I have watched even more people put themselves out there and take the "One Word 2012" challenge. Personally, I decided that if I found a word that resonated with me, I would join in. If not, I would do what I could to support others.

Last night, I was pondering what word I could possibly pick to describe 2012 for me, and I looked across the room, and saw this picture I took in New York City's Central Park a few years ago:


Imagine

Most people know I am a huge Beatles fan. More specifically, I have always been fascinated with John Lennon, and the sage wisdom and wit he always displayed. The song "Imagine" means so much to so many people partially because of the endless possibilities the word implies. When I looked at the picture, things sort of clicked into place for me. My One Word for 2012 will be Imagine.

Imagine...
the endless possibilities.
Imagine... the bonds I could create with others if I just allow myself
Imagine... the ways I can impact my profession through innovation

So tell me, what is your word for 2012?

1 comment:

Annette Martel said...

Mindfulness. I want to be thoughtful about how I spend my time, what foods I eat, etc., instead of just running on autopilot.