Saturday, July 5, 2008

I love the Oregon State Police

All summer I have been attending the parent session of our summer orientation sessions. The session is designed to be a time where the students are off talking to other students, and the parents have a chance to interact with some of the people who will be serving their students when they arrive in the fall.

We are fortunate to have the Oregon State Police on our campus. The reason they are there is because we have an active nuclear reactor on campus (it totally blew up in one season of 24, FYI), and by law they are required to protect it and the campus. In an effort to explain who they are and why they are on campus, a couple of OSP officers attend the parent session as well.

As we wait for our session to begin, we all hang out in the foyer of the auditorium, and catch up. During the last orientation session, the 2 OSP officers cracked me up while we mingled. The lead Sargent suggested making it easier on himself and his fellow officers by having all the students fill out their MIP paperwork on their way out the door. The other regaled an amusing story of how he had just pulled someone over when they veered into the side of his car in traffic. Turns out this person had a suspended license and had a warrant out for his arrest! Seriously, that guy deserved to get pulled over!

Spending time with these guys is a necessity of my job. It has helped me see that police officers are more than a uniform, and just how important their role is on our campus. I have appreciated getting to know their sense of humor, as we come together to educate parents on how safe our campus is. Hopefully I'll never be pulled over by one of the officers I know. Can you say awkward? Heh, oh well, at least I will know that I will end up as a good story.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Great post!! Yes, it always helps to get to know the "folks in blue", 'cause you never know when you'll need them!!

AND, you can't beat the stories!!

Remember the ones I've told you that I learned from the Alameda Sheriff's office? Unfortunately, my favorite just might be too raunchy for your audience!! BUT, if you call and beg me for it, I'll remind you of what it is!!!