Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I don't do this whole sick thing

Okay, last week I posted that my allergies were acting up. Well, it turns out that what I had was MUCH more worse. Monday morning I woke up not feeling too well. Being from a culture where we go to work even on our deathbeds, I went to work. I started to feel worse as soon as I got to work, so I promised to leave by noon. Apparently some sort of crud is spreading around my office, because 3 other coworkers were out sick too.

As promised, I left work early. I came home to try to nap (I don't nap), and proceeded to cough for 2 hours straight. Oye, my abs have never gotten such a workout! As the day went on, I felt worse and worse. That night, I barely slept due to all the coughing. Naturally, I hit a low on Tuesday morning. I was at the point where a simple shower exhausted me. I had a fever of about 101, and was hungry but couldn't eat. I decided it was time to be proactive and go to the doctor.

Being sick is one of the times I hate living alone. I had no one to take me to the doctor, and didn't trust my ability to drive there safely on my own. I started calling coworkers, but couldn't ask them to reschedule appointments just to get me to the doctor, so I ended up going on my own.

When I got to the doctor, I started feeling very hot. I really hate the hot/cold feelings when you have a fever. It's so incredibly uncomfortable going from not being able to warm up to sweating through your clothes. The doctor checked me out and diagnosed me with an Upper Respiratory Infection. This can become incredibly dangerous for someone who has asthma like me, so he literally wrote me a note to not work for the next few days while I healed.

The doctor also gave me a prescription for Codeine. I've never taken Codeine before, but I've always heard good things about it in the past. I tried out the Codeine last night, and was able to get about 3 batches of 4 hour sleep in between doses. Miracle drug! The Codeine is designed to keep you from coughing so you can rest. Works like a charm!

After actually getting some sleep, I feel better today than yesterday. I still have a long road to recovery, but at least now I feel like I may just live after all.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Sooo sorry that you are sick!! It's a times like these that I hate your living alone too! I love living in community!! even though I can ALWAYS hear the pitter patter of little feet above my head - that's the kitties' paws, the kids' feet are MUCH louder - I know that if anything goes wrong with me that there is someone to help. Good thing since I can no longer drive!

So, sending you cyber huggles for love and prayers for sleep, rest, and relaxation. Oh, and chocolate!! of all sorts and types!! It may not cure you, but you'll be a happier sick person!!!

Anonymous said...

Feel better Kathryn!!!

~Hill