Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Adventures in 2013

Last year I participated in the One Word 2012 challenge. Throughout 2012, I reflected (unfortunately not here on my blog, whoops) on what it meant to "Imagine".

Over the last few weeks, I watched as colleagues shared their new word for 2013. I read blog posts, and looked at Pinterest boards where people would share their word, and why it was so valuable to them. Meanwhile, I lamented that nothing was really coming to me for one word 2013, and thought maybe I would not participate this year.

"It will come to you," a friend told me (thanks, Chris). For those of you who know me, you know patience is not exactly a word/emotion/virtue that comes naturally to me. Good thing stubbornness does, so I waited to see if anything came to me.

Tonight I was tweeting with the lovely Becca Obergefell about food and Pinterest (shocking, right?), and during our conversation, it just came to me: 2013 will be about being adventurous!


I should state for the record that I like routines and plans. One reason I am good at what I do is because I am allowed to strategize and plan and create routines. It's not that I am adverse to trying new things, I'm just a creature of habit and comfort. Therefore, landing on the word adventurous is an adventure in and of itself! Guess I'm sneaky that way.

Let it be decreed that 2013 will be the year of Adventure! Here are some things I will be adventurous with:

  • Trying new and healthier food
  • Meeting new people, and taking risks by being my true self with them
  • Traveling to new places
  • Approaching routines at work through a new lens
  • Pushing myself past my comfort zone

I'm sure this list will grow as the year progresses, but I think I've got a good start. So what's your word for 2013?

No comments: