Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Left Behind

As spring approaches, many colleagues and new professionals within Student Affairs are beginning the process of a job search. I've seen a number of eloquent posts regarding best practices in job searches, and how to develop a resume. What I haven't seen much discussion about is what to do when you're the one staying while others seek new opportunities? What happens when you're the one left behind?

Recently, my supervisor left for a new opportunity at a different university. This was an opportunity that was literally too good to pass up, so I cannot fault him for taking on this new endeavor (although I miss him dearly).

As we were preparing to say goodbye to my supervisor, another colleague decided to seek out a new opportunity within our department that was a great fit for her strengths. While the result of her leaving would add more to my already full plate, I could hardly hold it against her for trying out something new. In fact, I'm quite proud of her for taking on this new challenge!

So where does that leave me? Well, trying to balance the responsibilities in my current position while taking on new tasks (or as we like to call them in Student Affairs "opportunities") that need to be covered in the wake of two vacancies. It is my responsibility to ensure that our customers do not see a decline in service because we are now short staffed. Totally manageable, right?

Sure, right.

It's only been about two weeks since I've been trying to balance all of these responsibilities, but it has already been a humbling experience in learning to delegate and ask for help. I have amazing student staff and wonderfully supportive colleagues, who all want to assist me however they can. Knowing I'm not in this alone (nor am I expected to handle everything alone) has been immensely helpful in maintaining some semblance of sanity.

How am I managing? Well, when I get to work in the morning I immediately open my Outlook calendar, and prioritize the day ahead. What truly needs to be accomplished today, and what can be deferred until tomorrow? What actually needs to be handled by me, and what can be taken care of by my student staff? I've had to make some hard choices on ensuring things get done at all versus being done exactly how my perfectionist self would do them (that gets me back to the whole humility aspect). Most importantly, I remember this sage advice a colleague provided to me on Twitter.

I'm sure I'll continue to learn new techniques for maintaining my time while I cover all these tasks, but what gets me through it all is knowing this is all a temporary fix while more permanent solutions (and new colleagues!) are found.

No comments: