Saturday, January 31, 2009

National Multiple Sclerosis Walk 2009

For quite some time, I have been feeling a call to action. Maybe some of it has to do with the message Barack Obama campaigned on, and maybe it has to do with personal experience. Either way, this feeling has been percolating inside me for quite some time, and I just had to act.

What am I talking about? Well, I created a fundraising team for the Portland, Oregon Walk MS 2009. What does this mean? It means I will be walking 5 kilometers on April 4, 2009 in an effort to raise money and awareness for Multiple Sclerosis research.

I decided to participate in the walk because of my mom. If you don't know, my mom has lived with Multiple Sclerosis since the early 1980s. My mom has had MS longer than they've really known what MS was, and consequently, was misdiagnosed for years. My mom is an inspiration to me daily, and I feel blessed to have her in my life.

Having spent my whole life observing my mom struggle with this disease, I felt it was time to do my part to support the cause. I had intended to just walk as an individual, but received overwhelming support from friends, family, and coworkers to create a team. Quite honestly, I was in complete awe that so many people wanted to join my cause. I think this provided the validation I needed to show this was the right thing to do. My team is coming together well, and we're even getting some monitary pledges! Amazing!

So readers, I have one request for you. Please keep me in your thoughts as I prepare for the MS Walk. I'm planning on doing some minor training to prepare for the walk, so I will need support in pushing me with this endeavor. And thanks in advance, because I know the people who truly understand me know how important this walk is to me. I will forever be humbled by your show of support.

No comments: