Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Baby it's Cold Outside

I'll be the first to admit that I have been spoiled to live in Oregon my whole life. Our summers can be warm, but are mostly tolerable, and our winters stay fairly mild. It's the rare day we see snow here in the Willamette Valley (FYI, Willamette rhymes with dammit. Say it right!), let alone ice.

That being said, when it gets really hot or really icy, we don't really know how to handle it.

Currently, we're in the midst of an "Arctic Blast" brought to us by our friendly neighbors to the north. We're experiencing temperatures colder than we've had in over 10 years! Needless to say, Oregonians don't know how to drive on ice, and certainly know how to make a mess of the roadways.

Since the students are all on break, Administrators have been hesitant to close the University, so I've been driving on the ice to work the last two days. I'm not much of a fan of inclement weather, but I'm proud of how I've been able to handle the dangerous conditions.

And the conditions are truly dangerous. You all know my disdain for other drivers, but that is magnified when the driving conditions are treacherous. It never ceases to amaze how people forget that when there is ice on the road, we all have less control and traction, so you need to SLOW DOWN and BACK OFF!! If you hit my car, your ass is officially mine.

I'm sure it goes without saying that I will welcome the return of 40 degree weather and rain. These are conditions I can handle. So thanks for the fun white stuff, but please return us to our regularly scheduled weather!

No comments: