Saturday, September 20, 2008

The students are coming! The students are coming!

Earlier in the summer I blogged about the students leaving. Alas, the time has come for the students to return. Fall is my favorite time of the year in regards to weather, but it's my busiest time of year for work. We spend more than a month preparing for the students' arrival on campus, and tomorrow is our D-Day. Almost 3000 students will arrive to move on campus!

Tomorrow is the culmination of the work I've done for more than 10 months. My position is always planning for a future date - this date. All the preparation, calls, emails, and hard work will come together into one event tomorrow. There is no time left to make changes. The way things are now will effect an entire academic year.

No pressure, right? Yeah, uh huh. Part of me is exhausted, but most of me is excited. In my line of work, this is what we live for. All of my hard work will be realized tomorrow, and I am as ready as I can be. I know that I have done everything I can to ensure that students will be satisfied with where they are living. I know I can't make them all happy, but I sure as heck tried!

So don't try calling tomorrow, I'll be at work. I was at work today for that matter as well. People who know me know that I'm not really available in September, and that's okay. The reason I do all this work is because I get a great sense of accomplishment when I see a freshman arrive on campus with their parents filled with anticipation for the year to come. Knowing I played a role in their success at the institution is all the reward I need.

No comments: