Friday, August 1, 2008

Tips for the clumsy in nature

For those who know me, this will come as no surprise. I am clumsy. I came into this world that way, so I've had lots of practice in refining my technique, especially when it comes to falling.

As a kid, I seemingly always had a skinned knee. If you look closely at my legs now, they are an assortment of scars from previous falls. In fact, I have very little nerve remaining in my right knee, because I skinned it once before it healed from a previous skinning. What can I say, when you're talented, you're talented!

Earlier this week, a colleague of mine came into work with bandages on his hands and knees. Not only did he proceed to show me his wounds (gross), he felt the need to tell me what happened. Apparently, he was out for a morning run (ew), and bit it. As he fell, he used his hands to catch himself, and scraped them up, along with his knee.

After the story, I proceeded to critique his falling technique. One thing I've learned in my years of gracelessness is just how to fall so I have minimal impact. There are ways to fall where you only scrape one area, not 2 or 3. It's all a matter of leaning this way or that. Sort of like when you are driving and start to skid on the ice. If you turn into the skid, it actually helps you straighten out. It's a matter of scientific fact.

Also, when falling in front of an audience (and really, when isn't there an audience when you fall?), it is important to take a final bow once it's established you have survived your fall. Not only does that prove to the looky-lou's that you are okay, it shows that you have taken ownership over the situation, and can laugh at yourself.

Today I had the opportunity to utilize some of my Clumsy Skills. It rained for the first time in awhile, and I had flip flops on while walking to lunch. I had to climb some stairs (stairs are very tricksy when you are clumsy), and slid on some bricks. I was able to prevent myself from falling (ha! Score 1 for the tall clumsy lady), and was able to get back down the stairs again after lunch without issue. I didn't have to use any of my more refined skills, but rest assured, I was prepared in the event they were needed.

So, if you find yourself to be a smidge on the clumsy side, I hope some of the tips I've provided will be of service to you in your future falls, because there will definitely be other falls.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do believe that I have broken some of your falls for you in the past :(

~Hillary

Mags said...

Yeah, thanks for that. ;-)