Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Olympics

As I sit here and type this (and eat some cookies, if you must know), I am watching the closing ceremonies of the Olympics in Beijing. Once again, I am in awe of the sheer brilliance and beauty of this show. Over the last two weeks, the Chinese people have really shed a light on their culture to the rest of the world, and now I think people have a little better understanding of just who the Chinese people are.

I've really enjoyed the Olympics this year. More so than any other Olympics, I think. It's not because of the U.S. team, or Michael Phelps (well, maybe a little about Michael Phelps. Come on, not only is he hot, he's the most decorated Olympian EVER!), or the U.S. women's gymnastics team. No, I think it proves to the world that even with all the strife and war in the world, we can all pause for two weeks (well most of us, thanyouverymuch, Russia and Georgia) and unite as a world in an effort to embrace all the qualities of good sportsmanship.

How amazing is it that so many countries can come together, and cheer their heads off as world records are broken, dreams are made, and hopes are bolstered? In some respects, I wish that we'd have these games more than every four years. Maybe if we did, we'd all learn how to let our petty differences aside to embrace a sense of team spirit and celebrating the good things in life.

And maybe we should elect Michael Phelps as the ruler of all things awesome.

No comments: