Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Time with family

This past Sunday was Easter, which for me, means time to head north to spend some quality time with the family. Now, in case you hadn't noticed from my previous post, I sort of overdid things at the Obama rally on Friday, so I felt like crap over the weekend. I rested all day Saturday, but still wasn't feeling well when the time came to head up to see the family on Sunday. I weighed my options (I would hate if I got either me 4 year old niece or 20 month old nephew sick), and still decided to go see the family. I hadn't seen everyone since Christmas, and was really needing some quality time with the people I care the most about.

The day started off with brunch with my Sister-in-Law's family. Now, it's important to note here that the number of kids under 6 at this brunch was almost equal to the number of adults in attendance. Not exactly a restful celebration for someone feeling under the weather. That being said, it was great to reconnect with everyone. My Sister-in-Law put a lot of time into making a wonderful meal for everyone, and I know we all appreciated it. It was great to see how we all took time out of our busy and vastly different lives to come together in celebration. Sometimes it takes a holiday to make you appreciate the things that matter most to you, like family.

My day ended with dinner at my Dad's house. I got there a little early for dinner, and was amused to see my step-sister going all out to create a fantastic potato dish for the meal. For someone who didn't care much for cooking growing up, my step-sister has really refined her cooking pallet as an adult. I must say, she is quite good at it too. It's great to see her so relaxed, and in an element that agrees with her. I hope she continues to learn what really ignites her passion for learning in life.

Naturally, dinner was delicious (seriously, you can't go wrong with Prime Rib where I'm concerned), and again, it was great to spend time with family. I was also proud of myself for following through with going to visit everyone, and not rushing to leave at the end of the night, even when I was feeling sick. Family is family, and they are important. It's good to reevaluate that every now and then, so as to ensure you are fully appreciating all that they represent for you.

No comments: